Water Filters Australia - Fluoride Poisoning
Gold Coast Sun August 12, 2009
TAP water containing twice the recommended level of fluoride has sparked calls for an immediate halt to the addition of 'poison' to the city's drinking supplies.
A Runaway Bay resident concerned about fluoride's effect on her health sent away a sample of her tap water for testing last month to an independent research labatory. Fluoride has been added to Gold Cost tap water since December.
The results record 2.1mg/L of fluoride, significantly more thn the 0.6 to 1.1mg/L recommended to improve dental health.
The resident said she was allergic to fluoride and it had a diabolical effect on her health. "It's like someone is blow torching my insides, which is why I had my water tested because I can only drink natural spring water at the moment and it's costing me," she said.
"I know what it does to pregnant women and I know where this stuff comes from. I've done a lot of research and this stuff is a product of toxic waste."
Anti-fluoride campaigner and Gold Coast City councilor Grant Pforr, has demanded an immediate halt to fluoridation.
"I'm not a doctor but I have been advised that five parts per million litres of water will kill a 70kg person - this stuff is a significant poison.
In October last year, Premier Anna Bligh gave her personal guarantee that water fluoridation caused no adverse health effects. Cr. Pforr said he wondered how much more evidence Premier Bligh needed. He said he could not believe that the water authorities were still getting it wrong.
"It was December when it was put into our water system and now it's August and we still haven't got it right," he said. "I'm just a person who has followed this and tried to get it out to the community.
"It's such a huge issue and so complicated and it is very similar to the asbestos issue. It took 40 - 50 years before the dangers of that came out." Queensland Health failed to comment.
- 97% of Western Europe has chosen fluoride-free water.
- Fluoride is the only chemical added to drinking water fior the purpose of medication.
- Contrary to previous belief fluoride has minimal benefit when swallowed.
- Fluoridated water is no longer recommended for babies.
- There are better ways of delivering fluoride.
- Ingestion of fluoride has little benefit but many risks.
- The industrial chemicals used to fluoridate water may present unique health risks not found with naturally occuring fluoride complexes.
- Water fluoridation's benefits to teeth have been exaggerated.
- Fluoridation poses added burden and risk to low income communities.
- Due to other sources many people are being over exposed to fluoride.